“House wine of the south” – This is how iced tea is often being called. It was originally drunk by the Southerners and later on spread in different parts of the globe. A Southern iced tea is the best among the other flavors of iced tea. We can drink this with almost anything. This type of tea is very easy to make. Actually, we just need to do 5 quick steps.
Original is always the best. You may think iced tea is just iced tea, but actually, what we drink today are just versions of the original southern iced tea. If you like to have a taste of the original and first ever type of iced tea, you may prepare one at home which is very easy to make.
How to make Southern Iced Tea
For this recipe, we will need:
- Family-sized tea bags
- Find a pitcher that can carry one gallon of water. Don’t use anything smaller as it might not suffice, because for sure you will drink as much as you can with this iced tea.
- Boil in 3 cups of water. Wait for the water to boil before you add in the tea bags. The tea will not taste good if you add the tea bags when the heat is not yet sufficient, and it will taste metallic and weak.
- Add in 3 tea bags once the water is boiling. Set aside the tea for about 10 minutes and allow it to steep.
- Add about one full cup of sugar in the bottom of your pitcher and then pour on the steeped tea in it. Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved by stirring it up. Fill the pitcher with water until it is full.
- Refrigerate the iced tea for an hour. Now you have the perfect southern iced tea!
This type of iced tea is still being served in lots of southern restaurants. You can also have your own at home as it is very easy to make. Southern iced teas are very delicious and refreshing. It has the balance of coldness and sweetness with the strong taste of the tea in it.
Many people still prefer this original iced tea recipe from the southerners. It is more delighting to drink the original taste. You can also serve this with anything: could be fish crackers, burgers and any type of meal. The taste of the iced tea will not tamper the meal you are eating.
You can also use honey for this southern iced tea if you think the powdered sugar is not easy to dissolve. You can still keep the original taste anyhow.